Lower body training is the most important thin g if you need higher jumps. Basketball, volleyball, football etc. require exceptional jumps for a better score for the team. For that, you need to work on the lower body. Lower performance and high risk of injuries is the outcome of a weak lower body. An increased vertical jump not only gives you a good score but makes your body flexible too.
A vertical jump is not that easy to achieve. It needs a lot of practice on a daily basis. Specific exercises are there which will help you increase vertical jumps. Ultimately you will have a good score, flexible body, and an improved overall athleticism. You have to be patient and regular if you are desperate for results. There are a number of exercises which help in building strength, especially of the lower body and it also helps in increasing vertical jump. The best exercises to increase vertical jump include calisthenics, squats, calf exercises, and plyometric.
Calisthenics is a set of exercises which are performed for bodyweight and focus on flexibility and strength of the body. It is listed among those exercises which do not require any equipment and can be performed anywhere. It especially targets the lower body which is the prime focus for higher vertical jumps. These exercises include stretching, lunges, and standing on your leg. The prime focus of these exercises is leg muscles. Here are some benefits of these exercises:
- Stretching should be done daily because it increases the flexibility of your body.
- Leg stretches are performed for training the legs anytime anywhere. It helps you to make your legs stronger. Eventually your jumping abilities will improve.
- Lunges are very effective because they target all the lower parts of the body which include hamstrings, glutes, and thighs.
- Alternate standing on your legs helps your ankles become stronger which reduces the chances of injury while jumping. The balance of your body is also maintained if the ankles are strong.
Leg strength is a necessity for higher jumps and squats is an effective exercise for the purpose. Squats focus on the glutes and quads which have pivotal role in jumping. If any of these muscles is weak, the chances of injuries are high. Squats have a lot of variations and all should be known to you. Information about all types of squats will help you choose the best one for you and attaining the best strength level of the legs will be easier.
- The classic squat exercise is simple. You stretch your arms horizontally and bend your knees at a 90-degree angle and then unfolding it, keeping your back straight. This variation is recommended to beginners.
- The next variation is jump squats where you use your body weight to perform the exercise. This variation can help you in building your legs stronger.
- One leg squat is another variation by which you can add more tension to your legs to make it stronger. This variation helps you to maintain your balance.
Calf is the smallest leg muscle yet it needs rigorous exercises. You should give calves the same attention like the thigh muscles get because they have an important role in the perfect jump too. It is a myth that calf muscles have no role in jumping. Instead they have a very important role. These muscles are responsible for absorbing half of the pressure while jumping. There are several variations through which you can build your calf muscle such as calf raises, calf presses, and machine calf raises.
- Calf presses help in building the strength of your calf muscle through a machine.
- Calf raises is an exercise where you use to train your calf muscle on the weight of your body. If performed correctly, you will feel a burning sensation in your calf muscles.
- Machine calf raises is another variation through which you can exercise your calf muscle. This exercise not only strengthens the muscles but risk of injury is reduced immensely too.
Increasing the vertical jump and making your lower body strong and flexible is the goal. This goal can also be achieved by plyometric exercises. It includes different sets of exercises like Bulgarian split squats, box jumps, and skipping rope. All of the three exercises help in building your lower body and an increased vertical jump will welcome you.
- Bulgarian split squats involve one leg at a time which helps you in maintaining your balance. This exercise usually focuses on all of the lower body parts which include glutes, hamstrings, and quadriceps.
- Box jumps helps you to increase your vertical jump. It not only helps you to build a strong lower body but it also improves your cardiovascular health.
- Skipping rope is another exercise that builds your leg muscles. It also aids you in burning your body fat which helps you to maximize your performance.
Some tips to help you
The exercises have dramatic effects but here are a few tips especially for beginners that should be kept in mind if you want to increase vertical jumps.
- Make sure you know everything about exercises first. The more information you have, the chances of injury are reduced.
- Be consistent with exercises. Do not leave it in the middle because that will leave a severe muscular pain and a damaged body.
- It is better to have professional guidance if you are a newbie.
- Have a good and healthy diet. It is a bonus point.
- In case of any unbearable pain, consult a doctor right away before you get extremely injured.
- It takes time to get results. Do not rush into any rigorous exercises. Be slow and steady.
Increasing vertical jumps is a necessity for all players and athletes. Be consistent and patient while exercising because nothing comes to you decorated on a plate. It is not a piece of cake but it is not impossible either. If you exercise daily and have a healthy diet, you will surely get an increased vertical jump soon.